×
Caitlin Clark pushes back on ‘narratives’ about back injury  INDIANAPOLIS — What should have been a straightforward situation for Caitlin Clark in the Fever became something much bigger over the last week.On Wednesday, Clark was a late scratch for Indiana’s game against the Fire with a back injury after not appearing on the injury report. In her pregame availability, head coach Stephanie White added to the confusion of Clark’s status and injury, noting that she did not practice the prior day and woke up with back soreness the morning of the game.Despite that, the team never indicated that she was dealing with a back injury before she was ruled out. The result was a warning from the league for failing to report Clark’s status leading up to the game.Because the noise is always louder around Clark as well — and because of how the Fever handled the situation — there was also plenty of discussion about whether Clark was actually hurt, if the team was managing her workload and, generally, what was going on.Clark, herself, cleared the air prior to Friday’s game against the Valkyries in a very impassioned media availability. She detailed her two days leading up to Wednesday’s game and the timeline of events that led to her being ruled out, including her working out on Wednesday in an attempt to play before ultimately deciding to sit out.“I woke up Wednesday, felt a little sore, texted our training staff, texted my personal physio,” Clark said. “I actually went back and looked – because of all these narratives that are going crazy online – about when I told my mom I wasn’t going to play the game: 4:47 [p.m.]. You guys found out at 5:20 [p.m.].“So, one of the most important people in my life found out 40 minutes before you guys.”Clark acknowledged that this wasn’t necessarily a one-off injury and that the back injury could linger as well. In the season opener against the Wings, Clark went to the tunnel during the game multiple times to get her back adjusted.“I mean, I think at this point maybe I’ll need to be listed as soreness on every injury report,” Clark said a little tongue-in-cheek in regards to the warning the team received. “My back feels good…But I hope it’s not something that hinders me. I think I’m doing everything I can to put myself in the best position I can recovery-wise. I’m continuing to lift. I’m continuing to get massages, hyperbaric [chamber], needling, every single thing I can possibly do after games and put myself in a position to play the next game and I feel really good.“It’s like I said, a lot of it is a mental challenge as well. Just continuing to trust my body and know I’m good to go as well.”Both Clark and White were clearly frustrated with the situation in their pregame availabilities. The latter was asked about her response to the team receiving a warning from the league and she gave a terse response.“My reaction is for what?,” White said.Asked why that was her reaction, White said it was because the team “did things the right way.”It was a combative approach from the team in response to a situation and controversy they created. Had Caitlin been on the injury report on Tuesday prior to the game or had it been updated on Wednesday leading up to the game, everything would have blown over as nothing more than a typical injury.Instead, the Fever’s lack of transparency created questions that didn’t need to exist and narratives, as Clark described them, that were baseless.The drama of it all also overshadowed some insightful and fascinating responses from Clark on mental health and her personal struggles with trusting her body and returning to the court after an injury-riddled second season. However, because of the necessity to finally get transparency on the matter, that was all pushed to the back burner.It would be an entirely different conversation if the Fever had offered more transparency by simply updating their injury report appropriately. In not doing so, a molehill became a mountain.In a league still relatively young and dealing with a star bigger than they’ve ever had before, it was a growing pain and a lesson unnecessarily learned the hard way.  #Caitlin #Clark #pushes #narratives #injury

Caitlin Clark pushes back on ‘narratives’ about back injury

INDIANAPOLIS — What should have been a straightforward situation for Caitlin Clark in the Fever became something much bigger over the last week.

On Wednesday, Clark was a late scratch for Indiana’s game against the Fire with a back injury after not appearing on the injury report. In her pregame availability, head coach Stephanie White added to the confusion of Clark’s status and injury, noting that she did not practice the prior day and woke up with back soreness the morning of the game.

Despite that, the team never indicated that she was dealing with a back injury before she was ruled out. The result was a warning from the league for failing to report Clark’s status leading up to the game.

Because the noise is always louder around Clark as well — and because of how the Fever handled the situation — there was also plenty of discussion about whether Clark was actually hurt, if the team was managing her workload and, generally, what was going on.

Clark, herself, cleared the air prior to Friday’s game against the Valkyries in a very impassioned media availability. She detailed her two days leading up to Wednesday’s game and the timeline of events that led to her being ruled out, including her working out on Wednesday in an attempt to play before ultimately deciding to sit out.

“I woke up Wednesday, felt a little sore, texted our training staff, texted my personal physio,” Clark said. “I actually went back and looked – because of all these narratives that are going crazy online – about when I told my mom I wasn’t going to play the game: 4:47 [p.m.]. You guys found out at 5:20 [p.m.].

“So, one of the most important people in my life found out 40 minutes before you guys.”

Clark acknowledged that this wasn’t necessarily a one-off injury and that the back injury could linger as well. In the season opener against the Wings, Clark went to the tunnel during the game multiple times to get her back adjusted.

“I mean, I think at this point maybe I’ll need to be listed as soreness on every injury report,” Clark said a little tongue-in-cheek in regards to the warning the team received. “My back feels good…But I hope it’s not something that hinders me. I think I’m doing everything I can to put myself in the best position I can recovery-wise. I’m continuing to lift. I’m continuing to get massages, hyperbaric [chamber], needling, every single thing I can possibly do after games and put myself in a position to play the next game and I feel really good.

“It’s like I said, a lot of it is a mental challenge as well. Just continuing to trust my body and know I’m good to go as well.”

Both Clark and White were clearly frustrated with the situation in their pregame availabilities. The latter was asked about her response to the team receiving a warning from the league and she gave a terse response.

“My reaction is for what?,” White said.

Asked why that was her reaction, White said it was because the team “did things the right way.”

It was a combative approach from the team in response to a situation and controversy they created. Had Caitlin been on the injury report on Tuesday prior to the game or had it been updated on Wednesday leading up to the game, everything would have blown over as nothing more than a typical injury.

Instead, the Fever’s lack of transparency created questions that didn’t need to exist and narratives, as Clark described them, that were baseless.

The drama of it all also overshadowed some insightful and fascinating responses from Clark on mental health and her personal struggles with trusting her body and returning to the court after an injury-riddled second season. However, because of the necessity to finally get transparency on the matter, that was all pushed to the back burner.

It would be an entirely different conversation if the Fever had offered more transparency by simply updating their injury report appropriately. In not doing so, a molehill became a mountain.

In a league still relatively young and dealing with a star bigger than they’ve ever had before, it was a growing pain and a lesson unnecessarily learned the hard way.

#Caitlin #Clark #pushes #narratives #injury

INDIANAPOLIS — What should have been a straightforward situation for Caitlin Clark in the Fever became something much bigger over the last week.

On Wednesday, Clark was a late scratch for Indiana’s game against the Fire with a back injury after not appearing on the injury report. In her pregame availability, head coach Stephanie White added to the confusion of Clark’s status and injury, noting that she did not practice the prior day and woke up with back soreness the morning of the game.

Despite that, the team never indicated that she was dealing with a back injury before she was ruled out. The result was a warning from the league for failing to report Clark’s status leading up to the game.

Because the noise is always louder around Clark as well — and because of how the Fever handled the situation — there was also plenty of discussion about whether Clark was actually hurt, if the team was managing her workload and, generally, what was going on.

Clark, herself, cleared the air prior to Friday’s game against the Valkyries in a very impassioned media availability. She detailed her two days leading up to Wednesday’s game and the timeline of events that led to her being ruled out, including her working out on Wednesday in an attempt to play before ultimately deciding to sit out.

“I woke up Wednesday, felt a little sore, texted our training staff, texted my personal physio,” Clark said. “I actually went back and looked – because of all these narratives that are going crazy online – about when I told my mom I wasn’t going to play the game: 4:47 [p.m.]. You guys found out at 5:20 [p.m.].

“So, one of the most important people in my life found out 40 minutes before you guys.”

Clark acknowledged that this wasn’t necessarily a one-off injury and that the back injury could linger as well. In the season opener against the Wings, Clark went to the tunnel during the game multiple times to get her back adjusted.

“I mean, I think at this point maybe I’ll need to be listed as soreness on every injury report,” Clark said a little tongue-in-cheek in regards to the warning the team received. “My back feels good…But I hope it’s not something that hinders me. I think I’m doing everything I can to put myself in the best position I can recovery-wise. I’m continuing to lift. I’m continuing to get massages, hyperbaric [chamber], needling, every single thing I can possibly do after games and put myself in a position to play the next game and I feel really good.

“It’s like I said, a lot of it is a mental challenge as well. Just continuing to trust my body and know I’m good to go as well.”

Both Clark and White were clearly frustrated with the situation in their pregame availabilities. The latter was asked about her response to the team receiving a warning from the league and she gave a terse response.

“My reaction is for what?,” White said.

Asked why that was her reaction, White said it was because the team “did things the right way.”

It was a combative approach from the team in response to a situation and controversy they created. Had Caitlin been on the injury report on Tuesday prior to the game or had it been updated on Wednesday leading up to the game, everything would have blown over as nothing more than a typical injury.

Instead, the Fever’s lack of transparency created questions that didn’t need to exist and narratives, as Clark described them, that were baseless.

The drama of it all also overshadowed some insightful and fascinating responses from Clark on mental health and her personal struggles with trusting her body and returning to the court after an injury-riddled second season. However, because of the necessity to finally get transparency on the matter, that was all pushed to the back burner.

It would be an entirely different conversation if the Fever had offered more transparency by simply updating their injury report appropriately. In not doing so, a molehill became a mountain.

In a league still relatively young and dealing with a star bigger than they’ve ever had before, it was a growing pain and a lesson unnecessarily learned the hard way.

Source link
#Caitlin #Clark #pushes #narratives #injury

LSG vs PBKS IPL 2026, LIVE Score: Punjab Kings 125/2 (12); Prabhsimran brings up half-century  Priyansh Arya, Prabhsimran Singh(w), Cooper Connolly, Shreyas Iyer(c), Suryansh Shedge, Marcus Stoinis, Shashank Singh, Azmatullah Omarzai, Harpreet Brar, Lockie Ferguson, Arshdeep Singh, Yuzvendra Chahal, Xavier Bartlett, Vishnu Vinod, Musheer Khan, Praveen Dubey, Ben Dwarshuis, Marco Jansen, Mitchell Owen, Vijaykumar Vyshak, Yash Thakur, Nehal Wadhera, Harnoor Singh, Pyla Avinash, Vishal Nishad  #LSG #PBKS #IPL #LIVE #Score #Punjab #Kings #Prabhsimran #brings #halfcentury
Deadspin | Report: Out-of-form Gio Reyna makes U.S. World Cup roster  Nov 18, 2025; Tampa, Florida, USA; United States midfielder Gio Reyna (7) and Uruguay midfielder Emiliano Martinez (15) battle for the ball in the second half during an international friendly at Raymond James Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images   The biggest question leading up to the announcement of the United States’ World Cup roster apparently was answered on Friday when The Athletic reported that Gio Reyna made the squad.  Reyna, 23, is a skillful playmaker, but his extensive injury history, lack of form at the club level and past attitude issues with the national team make him a controversial choice by coach Mauricio Pochettino.  In the current season, Reyna made only four starts and appeared in just 19 games for Borussia Monchengladbach. He managed just one goal and no assists.  He played the prior six seasons for Borussia Dortmund in Germany (along with a brief loan spell with Nottingham Forest in England). After starting 23 times and logging four goals and five assists for Dortmund in 2020-21, Reyna saw his playing time greatly limited due to injuries in ensuing years.  Reyna has nine goals in 36 games for the U.S. men’s national team, but his greatest domestic fame might have come as a result of his lack of playing time at the 2022 World Cup. He reportedly was nearly kicked off the squad due to his reaction to being a reserve.   The other big surprise regarding the reported U.S. roster is the absence of Real Salt Lake midfielder Diego Luna. In 18 national-team appearances, the 22-year-old has four goals. He is known for his gritty approach, personified by him staying in a friendly last year against Costa Rica despite breaking his nose.  Players who were on the bubble but did make the U.S. squad, according the report, were Vancouver Whitecaps midfielder Sebastian Berhalter, New England Revolution goalkeeper Matt Turner, Toulouse (France) center back Mark McKenzie and Leeds United (England) winger Brenden Aaronson.  Berhalter, 25, is the son of ex-USMNT coach Gregg Berhalter.  Pochettino is scheduled to reveal the 26-man roster at a Tuesday event in New York.  –Field Level Media    #Deadspin #Report #Outofform #Gio #Reyna #U.S #World #Cup #rosterNov 18, 2025; Tampa, Florida, USA; United States midfielder Gio Reyna (7) and Uruguay midfielder Emiliano Martinez (15) battle for the ball in the second half during an international friendly at Raymond James Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images

The biggest question leading up to the announcement of the United States’ World Cup roster apparently was answered on Friday when The Athletic reported that Gio Reyna made the squad.

Reyna, 23, is a skillful playmaker, but his extensive injury history, lack of form at the club level and past attitude issues with the national team make him a controversial choice by coach Mauricio Pochettino.

In the current season, Reyna made only four starts and appeared in just 19 games for Borussia Monchengladbach. He managed just one goal and no assists.

He played the prior six seasons for Borussia Dortmund in Germany (along with a brief loan spell with Nottingham Forest in England). After starting 23 times and logging four goals and five assists for Dortmund in 2020-21, Reyna saw his playing time greatly limited due to injuries in ensuing years.


Reyna has nine goals in 36 games for the U.S. men’s national team, but his greatest domestic fame might have come as a result of his lack of playing time at the 2022 World Cup. He reportedly was nearly kicked off the squad due to his reaction to being a reserve.

The other big surprise regarding the reported U.S. roster is the absence of Real Salt Lake midfielder Diego Luna. In 18 national-team appearances, the 22-year-old has four goals. He is known for his gritty approach, personified by him staying in a friendly last year against Costa Rica despite breaking his nose.

Players who were on the bubble but did make the U.S. squad, according the report, were Vancouver Whitecaps midfielder Sebastian Berhalter, New England Revolution goalkeeper Matt Turner, Toulouse (France) center back Mark McKenzie and Leeds United (England) winger Brenden Aaronson.

Berhalter, 25, is the son of ex-USMNT coach Gregg Berhalter.

Pochettino is scheduled to reveal the 26-man roster at a Tuesday event in New York.


–Field Level Media

#Deadspin #Report #Outofform #Gio #Reyna #U.S #World #Cup #roster">Deadspin | Report: Out-of-form Gio Reyna makes U.S. World Cup roster  Nov 18, 2025; Tampa, Florida, USA; United States midfielder Gio Reyna (7) and Uruguay midfielder Emiliano Martinez (15) battle for the ball in the second half during an international friendly at Raymond James Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images   The biggest question leading up to the announcement of the United States’ World Cup roster apparently was answered on Friday when The Athletic reported that Gio Reyna made the squad.  Reyna, 23, is a skillful playmaker, but his extensive injury history, lack of form at the club level and past attitude issues with the national team make him a controversial choice by coach Mauricio Pochettino.  In the current season, Reyna made only four starts and appeared in just 19 games for Borussia Monchengladbach. He managed just one goal and no assists.  He played the prior six seasons for Borussia Dortmund in Germany (along with a brief loan spell with Nottingham Forest in England). After starting 23 times and logging four goals and five assists for Dortmund in 2020-21, Reyna saw his playing time greatly limited due to injuries in ensuing years.  Reyna has nine goals in 36 games for the U.S. men’s national team, but his greatest domestic fame might have come as a result of his lack of playing time at the 2022 World Cup. He reportedly was nearly kicked off the squad due to his reaction to being a reserve.   The other big surprise regarding the reported U.S. roster is the absence of Real Salt Lake midfielder Diego Luna. In 18 national-team appearances, the 22-year-old has four goals. He is known for his gritty approach, personified by him staying in a friendly last year against Costa Rica despite breaking his nose.  Players who were on the bubble but did make the U.S. squad, according the report, were Vancouver Whitecaps midfielder Sebastian Berhalter, New England Revolution goalkeeper Matt Turner, Toulouse (France) center back Mark McKenzie and Leeds United (England) winger Brenden Aaronson.  Berhalter, 25, is the son of ex-USMNT coach Gregg Berhalter.  Pochettino is scheduled to reveal the 26-man roster at a Tuesday event in New York.  –Field Level Media    #Deadspin #Report #Outofform #Gio #Reyna #U.S #World #Cup #roster

Post Comment