×
Can’t wait to play Carlos Alcaraz in my hometown: Valentin Vacherot  Monaco’s Valentin Vacherot said he was relishing the chance to take on ​world number one Carlos Alcaraz in front of ‌friends and family after his fairytale run at ​the Monte Carlo Masters took him ⁠into the semifinals on home soil.Vacherot, who was ranked outside the top 200 before his shock Shanghai Masters triumph ‌last year, downed Alex de Minaur 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 in front of roaring ‌fans on Friday and became the first ‌Monegasque ⁠player to reach the last four at Monte ⁠Carlo.World number two Jannik Sinner, who has the opportunity to reclaim top spot from Alcaraz, meets the third-ranked Alexander Zverev ​in the other semifinal.“It’s ‌such an honour to be part of the semifinals with the three best players of the past few years,” Vacherot said shortly after ‌his win in Monte Carlo on Friday.“I can’t ​wait to play Carlos in my hometown; it’s amazing.READ: Billie Jean King Cup qualifiers — Italy, Ukraine begin campaign on a winning note“The guys in the crowd ⁠chanting, they’re my best friends from when I was nine or 10 years old. It’s rare for ‌a player to have this chance to have these many people around.“I’m so lucky to have a tournament in my club.”Vacherot is projected to break into the top 20 when the ATP rankings are updated on Monday. Alcaraz was left ‌impressed by the 27-year-old’s rise.“It’s impressive, his story. He ​has a lot of motivation playing at home,” Alcaraz said shortly before Vacherot set ⁠up their last-four clash, which takes place later on ⁠Saturday.“He has won great matches this tournament this year. I’ve never played against him ‌before; I just practiced with him once at Indian Wells. I know he’s a pretty ​tough opponent to play.”Published on Apr 11, 2026  #wait #play #Carlos #Alcaraz #hometown #Valentin #Vacherot

Can’t wait to play Carlos Alcaraz in my hometown: Valentin Vacherot

Monaco’s Valentin Vacherot said he was relishing the chance to take on ​world number one Carlos Alcaraz in front of ‌friends and family after his fairytale run at ​the Monte Carlo Masters took him ⁠into the semifinals on home soil.

Vacherot, who was ranked outside the top 200 before his shock Shanghai Masters triumph ‌last year, downed Alex de Minaur 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 in front of roaring ‌fans on Friday and became the first ‌Monegasque ⁠player to reach the last four at Monte ⁠Carlo.

World number two Jannik Sinner, who has the opportunity to reclaim top spot from Alcaraz, meets the third-ranked Alexander Zverev ​in the other semifinal.

“It’s ‌such an honour to be part of the semifinals with the three best players of the past few years,” Vacherot said shortly after ‌his win in Monte Carlo on Friday.

“I can’t ​wait to play Carlos in my hometown; it’s amazing.

READ: Billie Jean King Cup qualifiers — Italy, Ukraine begin campaign on a winning note

“The guys in the crowd ⁠chanting, they’re my best friends from when I was nine or 10 years old. It’s rare for ‌a player to have this chance to have these many people around.

“I’m so lucky to have a tournament in my club.”

Vacherot is projected to break into the top 20 when the ATP rankings are updated on Monday. Alcaraz was left ‌impressed by the 27-year-old’s rise.

“It’s impressive, his story. He ​has a lot of motivation playing at home,” Alcaraz said shortly before Vacherot set ⁠up their last-four clash, which takes place later on ⁠Saturday.

“He has won great matches this tournament this year. I’ve never played against him ‌before; I just practiced with him once at Indian Wells. I know he’s a pretty ​tough opponent to play.”

Published on Apr 11, 2026

#wait #play #Carlos #Alcaraz #hometown #Valentin #Vacherot

Monaco’s Valentin Vacherot said he was relishing the chance to take on ​world number one Carlos Alcaraz in front of ‌friends and family after his fairytale run at ​the Monte Carlo Masters took him ⁠into the semifinals on home soil.

Vacherot, who was ranked outside the top 200 before his shock Shanghai Masters triumph ‌last year, downed Alex de Minaur 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 in front of roaring ‌fans on Friday and became the first ‌Monegasque ⁠player to reach the last four at Monte ⁠Carlo.

World number two Jannik Sinner, who has the opportunity to reclaim top spot from Alcaraz, meets the third-ranked Alexander Zverev ​in the other semifinal.

“It’s ‌such an honour to be part of the semifinals with the three best players of the past few years,” Vacherot said shortly after ‌his win in Monte Carlo on Friday.

“I can’t ​wait to play Carlos in my hometown; it’s amazing.

READ: Billie Jean King Cup qualifiers — Italy, Ukraine begin campaign on a winning note

“The guys in the crowd ⁠chanting, they’re my best friends from when I was nine or 10 years old. It’s rare for ‌a player to have this chance to have these many people around.

“I’m so lucky to have a tournament in my club.”

Vacherot is projected to break into the top 20 when the ATP rankings are updated on Monday. Alcaraz was left ‌impressed by the 27-year-old’s rise.

“It’s impressive, his story. He ​has a lot of motivation playing at home,” Alcaraz said shortly before Vacherot set ⁠up their last-four clash, which takes place later on ⁠Saturday.

“He has won great matches this tournament this year. I’ve never played against him ‌before; I just practiced with him once at Indian Wells. I know he’s a pretty ​tough opponent to play.”

Published on Apr 11, 2026

Source link
#wait #play #Carlos #Alcaraz #hometown #Valentin #Vacherot

Previous post

All Hail the Seven-step PDRN Routine

Next post

Deadspin | Keider Montero, Tigers blank Marlins with 2-hitter <div id=""><section id="0" class=" w-full"><div class="xl:container mx-0 !px-4 py-0 pb-4 !mx-0 !px-0"><img src="https://images.deadspin.com/tr:w-900/28702767.jpg" srcset="https://images.deadspin.com/tr:w-900/28702767.jpg" alt="MLB: Miami Marlins at Detroit Tigers" class="w-full" fetchpriority="high" loading="eager"/><span class="text-0.8 leading-tight">Apr 10, 2026; Detroit, Michigan, USA; Detroit Tigers starting pitcher Keider Montero (54) throws a pitch against the Miami Marlins in the first inning at Comerica Park. Mandatory Credit: Lon Horwedel-Imagn Images<!-- --> <!-- --> </span></div></section><section id="section-1"> <p>Keider Montero tossed six strong innings and three relievers completed the shutout as the host Detroit Tigers snapped a five-game losing streak by blanking the Miami Marlins 2-0 on Friday.</p> </section><section id="section-2"> <p>Montero (1-1), who was called up from Triple-A Toledo last weekend, allowed just two hits and a walk while recording seven strikeouts. Brant Hurter, Kyle Finnegan and Kenley Jansen each tossed an inning of relief to cap a two-hitter.</p> </section><section id="section-3"> <p>Jansen recorded his second save of the season and the 478th of his career, tying him with Lee Smith for third place on the all-time list.</p> </section><section id="section-4"> <p>Javier Baez homered, Spencer Torkelson drove in the other run with a single and Colt Keith had two hits for the Tigers.</p> </section><section id="section-5"> <p>Marlins starter Chris Paddack (0-2), who spent part of last season with the Tigers, gave up two runs and seven hits in six innings. He fanned four and walked one. Lake Bachar struck out three in two scoreless innings of relief for the Marlins, who had a two-game winning streak end.</p> </section><section id="section-6"> <p>Miami’s Xavier Edwards hit a one-out triple in the first. He was left stranded as Montero retired the next two batters on a strikeout and flyout.</p> </section><br/><section id="section-7"> <p>Kevin McGonigle led off the bottom of the inning with a single and advanced on a wild pitch and groundout. Riley Greene grounded out to end the inning.</p> </section> <section id="section-8"> <p>Consecutive singles by Dillon Dingler, Kerry Carpenter and Torkelson in the second produced the first run. The Tigers had the bases loaded with two out later in the inning, but right fielder Owen Caissie made a sliding grab of Gleyber Torres’ line drive to keep the score at 1-0.</p> </section><section id="section-9"> <p>Miami’s Connor Norby hit a one-out double in the fifth. Montero set down the next two batters with a flyout and strikeout.</p> </section><section id="section-10"> <p>Detroit extended its lead in the bottom of the inning. Baez, leading off, reached out for a sweeper and pulled it over the left field wall for his first homer of the season.</p> </section><section id="section-11"> <p>Greene had a two-out single in the eighth and Dingler got aboard due to catcher’s interference, but Carpenter struck out to leave them stranded.</p> </section><section id="section-12"> <p>In the ninth, Jansen struck out Jakob Marsee before Edwards and Agustin Ramirez flied out to end the game.</p> </section><section id="section-13"> <p>–Field Level Media</p> </section></div> #Deadspin #Keider #Montero #Tigers #blank #Marlins #2hitter

#Canadian #Grand #Prix #takes #pole #Sprint">Canadian Grand Prix: Who takes pole for the F1 Sprint?  The single practice session is in the books, and the teams are pouring through the data ahead of qualifying for the F1 Sprint race at the Canadian Grand Prix.Kimi Antonelli led the practice session ahead of teammate George Russell, with Lewis Hamilton posting the third-fastest time behind the Mercedes duo. The practice session was interrupted with three different red flags, first when Liam Lawson came to a stop along the side of the track. The second red flag came when Alexander Albon made contact with some wildlife at the exit of Turn 7 before striking the barrier, and finally Esteban Ocon brought out the red flag when he clipped his front wing.But who will top the timing sheets when the lap times begin to matter? That is the question that will be answered in short order. F1 Sprint qualifying gets underway at 4:30 p.m. Eastern on Friday, and we will be following every development here live. So check back early and often!Canadian Grand Prix F1 Sprint qualifying resultsHere is the provisional qualifying grid for the F1 Sprint race at the Canadian Grand Prix. Spots will be filled in during the session:  #Canadian #Grand #Prix #takes #pole #Sprint

Former Norway ​captain Maren Mjelde has defended Oslo’s right to host the women’s Champions League final ‌after Barcelona midfielder Aitana Bonmati criticised the venue as too small for ​the biggest game in women’s club football.

The Ullevaal arena is ⁠sold out for Saturday’s clash between Spanish giant Barcelona and French juggernaut Lyon, but Bonmati told Catalan media outlet RAC1 that the 28,000-capacity venue represented a retrograde step for women’s ‌football.

“Norway is a fantastic country, but the conditions are different. We come from filling large stadiums and going to a smaller field ‌is a step back,” Bonmati said.

Mjelde hit back by pointing to last year’s ‌final, ⁠where Arsenal beat Barcelona 1-0 in front of 38,356 fans in ⁠Lisbon’s 52,095-capacity Estadio Jose Alvalade.

“A full Ullevaal is cooler than a half-full stadium somewhere else – if I’m not mistaken, it wasn’t a full stadium for the final last year, even though it was ​in a bigger stadium,” Mjelde ‌told Reuters in the sunshine outside the downtown hotel that European governing body UEFA is using as its base for the final.

“Of course you want to play in the biggest stadiums, but not all countries have them. Barcelona are ‌very lucky and privileged in Spain, and it is probably the team ​in the world that attracts the biggest audience, but it’s not like that everywhere, and I think that, if you can ⁠show football in several different countries, it will be much more attractive.”

Barcelona boasted a crowd of more than 60,000 at its Camp Nou stadium for a 6-0 thrashing ‌of bitter rival Real Madrid in April, but averaged just over 6000 fans for its home games this past season.

Mjelde, 36 and back playing in Norway after spells in Germany and England, emphasised her country’s pedigree as one of only five teams to win the women’s World Cup as further justification for having the women’s final in Oslo.

WORLD LEADER

“Norway was the world leader for a while, and ‌we want to get back there,” she said.

Though disappointed by the criticism, there was no anger ​towards Bonmati from Mjelde, who reached the 2021 Champions League final with Chelsea, but missed the 4-0 defeat by Barcelona through injury.

“I think ⁠if she had discussed this with the other Norwegian girls (at Barcelona, Caroline Graham Hansen ⁠and Martine Fenger), they would have said something completely different,” Mjelde said with a smile.

“We are of course a bit biased in this and ‌it’s a bit subjective, but I think Aitana will experience a fantastic atmosphere. The weather is nice and she gets to be in Norway, which ​is a really nice country, so I think she will find it cool anyway.”

Published on May 22, 2026

#Womens #Champions #League #Final #venue #controversy #Mjelde #defends #decision #Bonmati #criticism #sparks #debate">Women’s Champions League Final venue controversy: Mjelde defends decision as Bonmati criticism sparks debate  Former Norway ​captain Maren Mjelde has defended Oslo’s right to host the women’s Champions League final ‌after Barcelona midfielder Aitana Bonmati criticised the venue as too small for ​the biggest game in women’s club football.The Ullevaal arena is ⁠sold out for Saturday’s clash between Spanish giant Barcelona and French juggernaut Lyon, but Bonmati told Catalan media outlet        RAC1 that the 28,000-capacity venue represented a retrograde step for women’s ‌football.“Norway is a fantastic country, but the conditions are different. We come from filling large stadiums and going to a smaller field ‌is a step back,” Bonmati said.Mjelde hit back by pointing to last year’s ‌final, ⁠where Arsenal beat Barcelona 1-0 in front of 38,356 fans in ⁠Lisbon’s 52,095-capacity Estadio Jose Alvalade.“A full Ullevaal is cooler than a half-full stadium somewhere else – if I’m not mistaken, it wasn’t a full stadium for the final last year, even though it was ​in a bigger stadium,” Mjelde ‌told        Reuters in the sunshine outside the downtown hotel that European governing body UEFA is using as its base for the final.“Of course you want to play in the biggest stadiums, but not all countries have them. Barcelona are ‌very lucky and privileged in Spain, and it is probably the team ​in the world that attracts the biggest audience, but it’s not like that everywhere, and I think that, if you can ⁠show football in several different countries, it will be much more attractive.”Barcelona boasted a crowd of more than 60,000 at its Camp Nou stadium for a 6-0 thrashing ‌of bitter rival Real Madrid in April, but averaged just over 6000 fans for its home games this past season.Mjelde, 36 and back playing in Norway after spells in Germany and England, emphasised her country’s pedigree as one of only five teams to win the women’s World Cup as further justification for having the women’s final in Oslo.WORLD LEADER“Norway was the world leader for a while, and ‌we want to get back there,” she said.Though disappointed by the criticism, there was no anger ​towards Bonmati from Mjelde, who reached the 2021 Champions League final with Chelsea, but missed the 4-0 defeat by Barcelona through injury.“I think ⁠if she had discussed this with the other Norwegian girls (at Barcelona, Caroline Graham Hansen ⁠and Martine Fenger), they would have said something completely different,” Mjelde said with a smile.“We are of course a bit biased in this and ‌it’s a bit subjective, but I think Aitana will experience a fantastic atmosphere. The weather is nice and she gets to be in Norway, which ​is a really nice country, so I think she will find it cool anyway.”Published on May 22, 2026  #Womens #Champions #League #Final #venue #controversy #Mjelde #defends #decision #Bonmati #criticism #sparks #debate

Post Comment