×
Deadspin | Record M prize fund announced for Women’s Open  BRIDGEND, WALES – AUGUST 03: Miyu Yamashita of Japan lifts the AIG Women’s Open trophy following victory in the final round of the AIG Women’s Open 2025 at Royal Porthcawl Golf Club on August 03, 2025 in Bridgend, Wales.   This summer’s Women’s Open will celebrate its 50th anniversary with players competing for a record purse of  million, The R&A announced Tuesday.  Although the increase is a relatively modest 0,000 from last year, it marks a consistent trend in prize increases in recent years for the major championship.  “This is the sixth consecutive year that the AIG Women’s Open prize fund has been increased,” said R&A CEO Mark Darbon. “These consistent and sustainable investments in the prize fund clearly demonstrate The R&A and AIG’s commitment to elevating the Championship on the global stage.”  Starting with the inaugural Women’s British Open in 1976 when the total prize fund stood at 500 euros, the event has seen steady prize increases over the years, particularly over the past two decades.  By 2008, when the championship was last held at Sunningdale — announced Tuesday as the venue for the 2028 event — the purse was at .1 million.  Ten years later, the last time the Women’s Open was held at England’s Royal Lytham & St Annes — the site of this year’s event from July 29 to Aug. 2 — the total purse was just .25 million, meaning this year’s  million purse is triple that of just eight years ago.   The Women’s Open is now the third LPGA major to hit the  million mark in prize money, joining the U.S. Women’s Open and Women’s PGA which each have a  million purse.  This past weekend, the Chevron Championship came close to that mark, bumping its purse up by  million just two days before the opening round to a record  million, with Nelly Korda claiming the .35 million top prize.  Broadcast coverage of the Women’s Open will also be increasing to 34 hours across four days.  “The AIG Women’s Open reflects our commitment to advancing women in business, sports and society, which is core to AIG’s values,” Peter Zaffino, AIG chairman and CEO, said Tuesday. “In partnership with The R&A, we are making important strides in elevating the women’s game by continuing to increase the Championship purse and extending live broadcast coverage that will reach an even wider global audience of fans.”  –Field Level Media   #Deadspin #Record #10M #prize #fund #announced #Womens #Open

Deadspin | Record $10M prize fund announced for Women’s Open
Deadspin | Record M prize fund announced for Women’s Open  BRIDGEND, WALES – AUGUST 03: Miyu Yamashita of Japan lifts the AIG Women’s Open trophy following victory in the final round of the AIG Women’s Open 2025 at Royal Porthcawl Golf Club on August 03, 2025 in Bridgend, Wales.   This summer’s Women’s Open will celebrate its 50th anniversary with players competing for a record purse of  million, The R&A announced Tuesday.  Although the increase is a relatively modest 0,000 from last year, it marks a consistent trend in prize increases in recent years for the major championship.  “This is the sixth consecutive year that the AIG Women’s Open prize fund has been increased,” said R&A CEO Mark Darbon. “These consistent and sustainable investments in the prize fund clearly demonstrate The R&A and AIG’s commitment to elevating the Championship on the global stage.”  Starting with the inaugural Women’s British Open in 1976 when the total prize fund stood at 500 euros, the event has seen steady prize increases over the years, particularly over the past two decades.  By 2008, when the championship was last held at Sunningdale — announced Tuesday as the venue for the 2028 event — the purse was at .1 million.  Ten years later, the last time the Women’s Open was held at England’s Royal Lytham & St Annes — the site of this year’s event from July 29 to Aug. 2 — the total purse was just .25 million, meaning this year’s  million purse is triple that of just eight years ago.   The Women’s Open is now the third LPGA major to hit the  million mark in prize money, joining the U.S. Women’s Open and Women’s PGA which each have a  million purse.  This past weekend, the Chevron Championship came close to that mark, bumping its purse up by  million just two days before the opening round to a record  million, with Nelly Korda claiming the .35 million top prize.  Broadcast coverage of the Women’s Open will also be increasing to 34 hours across four days.  “The AIG Women’s Open reflects our commitment to advancing women in business, sports and society, which is core to AIG’s values,” Peter Zaffino, AIG chairman and CEO, said Tuesday. “In partnership with The R&A, we are making important strides in elevating the women’s game by continuing to increase the Championship purse and extending live broadcast coverage that will reach an even wider global audience of fans.”  –Field Level Media   #Deadspin #Record #10M #prize #fund #announced #Womens #OpenBRIDGEND, WALES – AUGUST 03: Miyu Yamashita of Japan lifts the AIG Women’s Open trophy following victory in the final round of the AIG Women’s Open 2025 at Royal Porthcawl Golf Club on August 03, 2025 in Bridgend, Wales.

This summer’s Women’s Open will celebrate its 50th anniversary with players competing for a record purse of $10 million, The R&A announced Tuesday.

Although the increase is a relatively modest $250,000 from last year, it marks a consistent trend in prize increases in recent years for the major championship.

“This is the sixth consecutive year that the AIG Women’s Open prize fund has been increased,” said R&A CEO Mark Darbon. “These consistent and sustainable investments in the prize fund clearly demonstrate The R&A and AIG’s commitment to elevating the Championship on the global stage.”

Starting with the inaugural Women’s British Open in 1976 when the total prize fund stood at 500 euros, the event has seen steady prize increases over the years, particularly over the past two decades.

By 2008, when the championship was last held at Sunningdale — announced Tuesday as the venue for the 2028 event — the purse was at $2.1 million.


Ten years later, the last time the Women’s Open was held at England’s Royal Lytham & St Annes — the site of this year’s event from July 29 to Aug. 2 — the total purse was just $3.25 million, meaning this year’s $10 million purse is triple that of just eight years ago.

The Women’s Open is now the third LPGA major to hit the $10 million mark in prize money, joining the U.S. Women’s Open and Women’s PGA which each have a $12 million purse.

This past weekend, the Chevron Championship came close to that mark, bumping its purse up by $1 million just two days before the opening round to a record $9 million, with Nelly Korda claiming the $1.35 million top prize.

Broadcast coverage of the Women’s Open will also be increasing to 34 hours across four days.

“The AIG Women’s Open reflects our commitment to advancing women in business, sports and society, which is core to AIG’s values,” Peter Zaffino, AIG chairman and CEO, said Tuesday. “In partnership with The R&A, we are making important strides in elevating the women’s game by continuing to increase the Championship purse and extending live broadcast coverage that will reach an even wider global audience of fans.”

–Field Level Media

#Deadspin #Record #10M #prize #fund #announced #Womens #Open

BRIDGEND, WALES – AUGUST 03: Miyu Yamashita of Japan lifts the AIG Women’s Open trophy following victory in the final round of the AIG Women’s Open 2025 at Royal Porthcawl Golf Club on August 03, 2025 in Bridgend, Wales.

This summer’s Women’s Open will celebrate its 50th anniversary with players competing for a record purse of $10 million, The R&A announced Tuesday.

Although the increase is a relatively modest $250,000 from last year, it marks a consistent trend in prize increases in recent years for the major championship.

“This is the sixth consecutive year that the AIG Women’s Open prize fund has been increased,” said R&A CEO Mark Darbon. “These consistent and sustainable investments in the prize fund clearly demonstrate The R&A and AIG’s commitment to elevating the Championship on the global stage.”

Starting with the inaugural Women’s British Open in 1976 when the total prize fund stood at 500 euros, the event has seen steady prize increases over the years, particularly over the past two decades.

By 2008, when the championship was last held at Sunningdale — announced Tuesday as the venue for the 2028 event — the purse was at $2.1 million.

Ten years later, the last time the Women’s Open was held at England’s Royal Lytham & St Annes — the site of this year’s event from July 29 to Aug. 2 — the total purse was just $3.25 million, meaning this year’s $10 million purse is triple that of just eight years ago.

The Women’s Open is now the third LPGA major to hit the $10 million mark in prize money, joining the U.S. Women’s Open and Women’s PGA which each have a $12 million purse.

This past weekend, the Chevron Championship came close to that mark, bumping its purse up by $1 million just two days before the opening round to a record $9 million, with Nelly Korda claiming the $1.35 million top prize.

Broadcast coverage of the Women’s Open will also be increasing to 34 hours across four days.

“The AIG Women’s Open reflects our commitment to advancing women in business, sports and society, which is core to AIG’s values,” Peter Zaffino, AIG chairman and CEO, said Tuesday. “In partnership with The R&A, we are making important strides in elevating the women’s game by continuing to increase the Championship purse and extending live broadcast coverage that will reach an even wider global audience of fans.”

–Field Level Media

Source link
#Deadspin #Record #10M #prize #fund #announced #Womens #Open

#WNBA #players #waived #week #doesnt">3 WNBA players were waived this week, but it doesn’t mean that’s the end  There are more roster spots in the WNBA than ever before — more than 200, to be exact.That’s in large part due to league expansion; with the addition of the Portland Fire and Toronto Tempo this season, the league has a record 15 teams. And, alongside 12 standard roster spots, each team has two developmental player slots, as agreed upon in the latest CBA.Still, with an influx of overseas talent coming to the WNBA in addition to droves of elite college players, holding on to a roster spot remains difficult for those who are on the fringe. As such, even two weeks into the season, good players are getting waived every day.Since Monday, three players have been waived: Grace Vanslooten by the Seattle Storm, Ashten Prechtel by the Golden State Valkyries, and Aubrey Griffin by the New York Liberty. Vanslooter was a 2026 third-round pick after a standout career at Notre Dame. Prechtel was a 2023 third-round pick who won an NCAA championship with Stanford. And, Griffin was selected in the third round of the 2025 draft out of UConn.Before those three cuts, the Phoenix Mercury waived Anneli Maley and Peyton Williams, the Connecticut Sun waived Shey Peddy, and the Portland Fire waived Jordan Harrison.Sometimes, these cuts are expected: players signed hardship contracts in the wake of injuries and knew that their tenures would likely be temporary. Other times, cuts seemingly come out of left field; Kate Martin, who was waived by the Valkyries after training camp (and after being a rotation player for the team last season) is an example.And, getting cut isn’t always a death sentence. There’s a long list of players who were waived by a WNBA team, only to eventually blossom elsewhere. That list includes Veronica Burton, who was waived by the Dallas Wings two years ago before becoming an elite two-way point guard for the Valkyries last season. It also includes veteran players like Erica Wheeler and Alysha Clark, who were cut early in their careers. That didn’t stop either: Wheeler has played 11 seasons, and Clark has played 14. Both are some of the league’s most established vets.Players who get cut might look to go overseas in the meantime, or they might try to find a home elsewhere (Hailey Van Lith was recently cut by the Chicago Sky, and immediately joined the Connecticut Sun).For some, it’s the end of the road. For others, it’s just the beginning.  #WNBA #players #waived #week #doesnt

Post Comment