×
Donnarumma denies Italy players wanted bonus for FIFA World Cup 2026 qualification  Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma said he was hurt by reports claiming ​the national team’s players had demanded a ‌bonus if they qualified for this year’s ​World Cup.Four-time champion Italy missed ⁠out on the finals for the the third consecutive time after losing 4-1 on penalties ‌to Bosnia and Herzegovina in last month’s playoff final.“As captain, I never ‌went to ask the Italian national ‌team ⁠for a single euro,” Donnarumma ⁠told        Sky Sports Italia.ALSO READ | PSG rues missed chances despite beating Liverpool 2-0 in quarterfinals“What the national team does, as always, in every competition, is give a gift ​to the players ‌who qualify for a tournament.“That was all there was to it, but nobody asked the federation for anything; our reward ‌was getting to go to the ​World Cup.”Italy’s failure to qualify for the June 11 to July 19 ⁠tournament in North America resulted in Italian Football Federation President Gabriele Gravina resigning amid ‌political pressure and the country’s former goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon stepping down as the team’s delegation chief.Head coach Gennaro Gattuso also left his position.“We have to start afresh, move on,” Donnarumma, 27, said.“We have ‌to bounce back; there are four years until ​the next World Cup, and in the meantime there are major ⁠competitions like the European Championship and the Nations ⁠League.“Before thinking about the World Cup, we need to focus on these ‌big tournaments in between and we need to start again strongly straight ​away.”Published on Apr 09, 2026  #Donnarumma #denies #Italy #players #wanted #bonus #FIFA #World #Cup #qualification

Donnarumma denies Italy players wanted bonus for FIFA World Cup 2026 qualification

Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma said he was hurt by reports claiming ​the national team’s players had demanded a ‌bonus if they qualified for this year’s ​World Cup.

Four-time champion Italy missed ⁠out on the finals for the the third consecutive time after losing 4-1 on penalties ‌to Bosnia and Herzegovina in last month’s playoff final.

“As captain, I never ‌went to ask the Italian national ‌team ⁠for a single euro,” Donnarumma ⁠told Sky Sports Italia.

ALSO READ | PSG rues missed chances despite beating Liverpool 2-0 in quarterfinals

“What the national team does, as always, in every competition, is give a gift ​to the players ‌who qualify for a tournament.

“That was all there was to it, but nobody asked the federation for anything; our reward ‌was getting to go to the ​World Cup.”

Italy’s failure to qualify for the June 11 to July 19 ⁠tournament in North America resulted in Italian Football Federation President Gabriele Gravina resigning amid ‌political pressure and the country’s former goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon stepping down as the team’s delegation chief.

Head coach Gennaro Gattuso also left his position.

“We have to start afresh, move on,” Donnarumma, 27, said.

“We have ‌to bounce back; there are four years until ​the next World Cup, and in the meantime there are major ⁠competitions like the European Championship and the Nations ⁠League.

“Before thinking about the World Cup, we need to focus on these ‌big tournaments in between and we need to start again strongly straight ​away.”

Published on Apr 09, 2026

#Donnarumma #denies #Italy #players #wanted #bonus #FIFA #World #Cup #qualification

Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma said he was hurt by reports claiming ​the national team’s players had demanded a ‌bonus if they qualified for this year’s ​World Cup.

Four-time champion Italy missed ⁠out on the finals for the the third consecutive time after losing 4-1 on penalties ‌to Bosnia and Herzegovina in last month’s playoff final.

“As captain, I never ‌went to ask the Italian national ‌team ⁠for a single euro,” Donnarumma ⁠told Sky Sports Italia.

ALSO READ | PSG rues missed chances despite beating Liverpool 2-0 in quarterfinals

“What the national team does, as always, in every competition, is give a gift ​to the players ‌who qualify for a tournament.

“That was all there was to it, but nobody asked the federation for anything; our reward ‌was getting to go to the ​World Cup.”

Italy’s failure to qualify for the June 11 to July 19 ⁠tournament in North America resulted in Italian Football Federation President Gabriele Gravina resigning amid ‌political pressure and the country’s former goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon stepping down as the team’s delegation chief.

Head coach Gennaro Gattuso also left his position.

“We have to start afresh, move on,” Donnarumma, 27, said.

“We have ‌to bounce back; there are four years until ​the next World Cup, and in the meantime there are major ⁠competitions like the European Championship and the Nations ⁠League.

“Before thinking about the World Cup, we need to focus on these ‌big tournaments in between and we need to start again strongly straight ​away.”

Published on Apr 09, 2026

Source link
#Donnarumma #denies #Italy #players #wanted #bonus #FIFA #World #Cup #qualification

When I arrived to cover the Minnesota Vikings for the St. Paul Pioneer Press in 2000, it was clear I was dealing with a star-studded roster.

The team boasted future Pro Football Hall of Famers; wide receivers Cris Carter and Randy Moss and defensive tackle John Randle. Plus, there were a ton of other stars including quarterback Daunte Culpepper, center Matt Birk and running back Robert Smith. The Vikings were loaded with star power.

The talent around the team wasn’t relegated simply to the roster, however.

That summer I first laid my eyes on a 16-year-old high school junior named Larry Fitzgerald Jr. The son of a local media member and close friend of Vikings’ head coach Dennis Green, Little Fitzy was a ball boy during training camp and on game days. It turns out, Larry Fitzgerald Jr. is very likely the most famous former NFL ball boy in history.

On reporting date, fellow reporter Kevin Seifert pointed out Fitzgerald to me and said “that’s a bad man.” Seifert didn’t say that about any of the actual Vikings that day.

Fitzgerald was already known as the best Minnesota high school prospect in years and he was considered one of the best high school players in the country. Seifert told me the buzz was that the kid was, no doubt, headed to the NFL in a half decade or so. Seifert was on the money. I’m not sure the Hall of Fame was mentioned or not.

But this weekend of course, that’s exactly where Little Fitzy is headed. He will be enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, on Saturday as a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

Fitzgerald will be remembered as one of the best and most productive wide receivers in league history after an incredible 17-season career with the Arizona Cardinals.

I have a ton of memories of being around Fitzgerald, but there’s one that stands out among them all.

One day after training camp, a nameless Vikings’ wide receiver camp body was getting extra work on a JUGS machine, catching balls. He was being tutored by Fitzgerald, who was showing this player how to properly approach the incoming ball. This was a child instructing a grown man an NFL team deemed good enough to attend training camp.

Larry Fitzgerald Jr. was special even back then.

In addition to his incredible natural football ability, Larry Fitzgerald Jr. stood out for his politeness and good nature. You could tell he was a good kid from the first time you met him.

There was no I’m-going-to-be-a-star attitude. He was genuine and he worked his tail off with the rest of the ball boys. There was no entitlement. It was as if he was using his time around an NFL camp as an internship for his future. He passed with flying colors.

I’ve always cherished following his career from his days at Pittsburgh in college to his days of dominating the NFL and I’ve enjoyed running into him over the years now and again.

Enjoy Canton, Little Fitzy, you’ve earned it.

#Larry #Fitzgeralds #Hall #Fame #induction #years #making">Larry Fitzgerald’s Hall of Fame induction is 25 years in the making  When I arrived to cover the Minnesota Vikings for the St. Paul Pioneer Press in 2000, it was clear I was dealing with a star-studded roster.The team boasted future Pro Football Hall of Famers; wide receivers Cris Carter and Randy Moss and defensive tackle John Randle. Plus, there were a ton of other stars including quarterback Daunte Culpepper, center Matt Birk and running back Robert Smith. The Vikings were loaded with star power.The talent around the team wasn’t relegated simply to the roster, however.That summer I first laid my eyes on a 16-year-old high school junior named Larry Fitzgerald Jr. The son of a local media member and close friend of Vikings’ head coach Dennis Green, Little Fitzy was a ball boy during training camp and on game days. It turns out, Larry Fitzgerald Jr. is very likely the most famous former NFL ball boy in history.On reporting date, fellow reporter Kevin Seifert pointed out Fitzgerald to me and said “that’s a bad man.” Seifert didn’t say that about any of the actual Vikings that day.Fitzgerald was already known as the best Minnesota high school prospect in years and he was considered one of the best high school players in the country. Seifert told me the buzz was that the kid was, no doubt, headed to the NFL in a half decade or so. Seifert was on the money. I’m not sure the Hall of Fame was mentioned or not.But this weekend of course, that’s exactly where Little Fitzy is headed. He will be enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, on Saturday as a first-ballot Hall of Famer.Fitzgerald will be remembered as one of the best and most productive wide receivers in league history after an incredible 17-season career with the Arizona Cardinals.I have a ton of memories of being around Fitzgerald, but there’s one that stands out among them all.One day after training camp, a nameless Vikings’ wide receiver camp body was getting extra work on a JUGS machine, catching balls. He was being tutored by Fitzgerald, who was showing this player how to properly approach the incoming ball. This was a child instructing a grown man an NFL team deemed good enough to attend training camp.Larry Fitzgerald Jr. was special even back then.In addition to his incredible natural football ability, Larry Fitzgerald Jr. stood out for his politeness and good nature. You could tell he was a good kid from the first time you met him.There was no I’m-going-to-be-a-star attitude. He was genuine and he worked his tail off with the rest of the ball boys. There was no entitlement. It was as if he was using his time around an NFL camp as an internship for his future. He passed with flying colors.I’ve always cherished following his career from his days at Pittsburgh in college to his days of dominating the NFL and I’ve enjoyed running into him over the years now and again.Enjoy Canton, Little Fitzy, you’ve earned it.  #Larry #Fitzgeralds #Hall #Fame #induction #years #making

Follow Sportstar for extensive coverage of the tenth edition of the TNPL, from live scores and match reports to exclusive analysis and features.

TOSS

Tiruppur Tamizhans won the toss and chose to bowl first.

PLAYING XIs

Nellai Royal Kings: Athish SR(w), D Santhosh Kumar, Ajitesh Guruswamy, U Mukilesh, Rithik Easwaran, Sonu Yadav(c), Muhammed Adnan Khan, Ramalingam Rohit, Emmanuel Cherian, NS Harish, Rocky Bhasker

Tiruppur Tamizhans: Tushar Raheja(w), Amit Sathvik, Pradosh Ranjan Paul, Mohamed Ali, Uthirasamy Sasidev, Ravisrinivasan Sai Kishore(c), M Mathivannan, S Mohan Prasath, R Silambarasan, Esakkimuthu A, T Natarajan

Published on Aug 09, 2026

#TNPL #Live #Allround #batting #display #propels #Nellai #Royal #Kings">TNPL 2026 Live: All-round batting display propels Nellai Royal Kings to 206/8  Follow Sportstar for extensive coverage of the tenth edition of the TNPL, from live scores and match reports to exclusive analysis and features.TOSSTiruppur Tamizhans won the toss and chose to bowl first.PLAYING XIsNellai Royal Kings: Athish SR(w), D Santhosh Kumar, Ajitesh Guruswamy, U Mukilesh, Rithik Easwaran, Sonu Yadav(c), Muhammed Adnan Khan, Ramalingam Rohit, Emmanuel Cherian, NS Harish, Rocky BhaskerTiruppur Tamizhans: Tushar Raheja(w), Amit Sathvik, Pradosh Ranjan Paul, Mohamed Ali, Uthirasamy Sasidev, Ravisrinivasan Sai Kishore(c), M Mathivannan, S Mohan Prasath, R Silambarasan, Esakkimuthu A, T NatarajanPublished on Aug 09, 2026  #TNPL #Live #Allround #batting #display #propels #Nellai #Royal #Kings

Post Comment