Kochi is gearing up for its date with international football after a decade as India takes on Hong Kong in an Asia Cup qualifier at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium on March 31.
The visitors arrived at Kochi on Friday. The Indian team has already begun its practice sessions at the Kerala Blasters training facility at Thrippunithura.
The last time the Indian team played at Kochi was in 2016, a World Cup qualifying match against Turkmenistan. The Kerala Football Association president, Navas Meeran, said the association didn’t want to miss out on the opportunity to bring international football back to Kerala.
“That is why we took on the responsibility to host this match,” Navas told Sportstar. “The preparations are in full swing. And we do hope to get a crowd for the match, especially with three players from Kerala in the Indian squad.”
ALSO READ | Kerala Blasters appoints Ashley Westwood as head coach until end of season
These three Kerala players – Sahal Abdul Samad, Ashique Kuruniyan and Bijoy Varghese – however, could not take part in a press conference as scheduled on Thursday. They were supposed to accompany coach Khalid Jamil for the press meet, but that didn’t happen, as the Greater Cochin Development Authority (GCDA) did not give permission to use the stadium, as the KFA had failed to make the payment towards rent and security deposit.
Navas said the issue had been resolved. “It was just a technical issue, though there was fault from our side, too,” he said. “But incidents like this should not happen. Now, we are all looking forward to making the match a success.”
Published on Mar 27, 2026
Source link
#Kochi #gearing #India #Hong #Kong #AFC #qualifier

Post Comment